Who Can Apply For a Years Support in Georgia?

Only a surviving spouse or a minor child of the decedent may apply for a years support after their loved one passes away. The petition asks the court to designate specified property to be awarded to the spouse and/or children. Notice of the property being asked to be awarded must be given to all "interested persons," meaning, anyone who may have an interest in that property under the laws of Georgia. Because property awarded as a year's support is free of all unsecured debts, even certain ad valorem taxes on real property, and takes priority over any gifts or dispositions in your loved ones Will, it is important to make sure your family takes advantage of this benefit. Please call our office today at (404) 260-1901 to make sure you are aware of all the benefits you are entitled to before the statute of limitations bars your recovery.